Greetings comrades. Thrill has lent me the keys to the RVS bunker to invite you all to a little wager that combines two things that we love to argue about in these here parts – bitching about crappy movies and celebrating unfettered capitalism.
Join us in – the summer movie wager!
The summer movie wager is a competition that’s been going on at both the Totally Rad Show and latterly the Slashfilm podcasts since 2007. The aim of the game is to pick the top ten grossing films of the summer, in order of dollars earned in the US/Canada.
This isn’t about which movies are going to be the best (sorry Baby Driver) but about which movies are going to make the most dollar (Woo Transformers 5 : Robots in castles)
If you want to play along, head over to http://smoview.a2hosted.com/playalong.php – add a nickname and choose your movies in order. Post your username and your picks in the comments below, and I’ll keep track of the RVS Leaderboard weekly.
It’s pretty simple, but also a bit complicated.
- Only films released in the US between 1 May and Labour Day can count
- You pick your top ten in order, and then you’re allowed 3 dark horses
- The scoring of your list of 10 movies and your 3 dark horses goes like this:
- Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
- 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
- 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
- 5 points if it was two spots away
- 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
- 1 point for each dark horse that makes it into the Top 10
- Again, this is about which films make the most money – not how good the films are.
I’ll do an update every week or so, along with a chance to chat about which movies we’ve seen and if they suck or not.